Pages

01 July 2010

Day 4 Feature: Ali's Craft Studio

Meet Ali's Craft Studio


I'd say Ali is one of the top 5 people on www.craftforum.com that will always be there for you, whether its advice or a well done. I always feel reassured once Ali has posted on a thread and answered my questions! 
She's a wonderful person who has a great business and needs to get more credit for what skills she has.


Here's an interview we did with Ali for this feature...

Who are you and your Business?
I am Alison Lloyd and my company is Ali's Craft Studio.  I create all the items myself but my wonderful husband, Phil, helps me sell them at the fairs and markets I do.

Where are you based?
I am based in Kent - the beautiful Garden of England
What is it you make and how did you get started?
I make peelable static cling decorations that look like stained glass & work on any shiny surface (such as windows, mirrors, tiles, etc).  I have also recently started making a range of handpainted keyrings which feature lots of designs from Japanese Kanji to fully glittered rainbows. I started making my window clings as a hobby around 15 years ago but made it my full time business just over 2 years ago after the death of my father, which made me realise that life is simply too short not to be doing something you love! 



Who’s your inspiration?
There are many people but mostly my Dad, my Mum and my husband as without his amazing support, I could never do what I am doing.
How long have you had your business?
As I mentioned earlier, after creating items as a hobby for a number of years, Ali's Craft Studio was formed in May 2008 and I sell at fairs and online at 
www.studiocrafts.net
Have you always been creative and had creative jobs in your life?
Yes - both my parents were creative and I definitely inherited it!   My jobs have usually been fairly creative from hairdressing to working for a magazine publisher and organising their major exhibitions (which I did for 20 years!)
What’s your favourite item to make?
Ooh, that is a tough one - usually it is the cute animals as I am a big kid at heart!  But I also enjoy the realistic dogs and the traditional floral designs as they look so effective.
What would you say are your best sellers?
Probably my butterfly sets which I make in various colours, but fairies and my diddy designs are probably not that far behind!
What are your future plans for your business?
Hopefully to increase my web sales (after all there are only so many weekends in the year for me to go to more fairs!) and keep getting the wonderful feedback from my great customers who come back again and again for items for themselves and gifts for others.  After all, that is what it is all about - putting a smile on someone's face with something I have created.


Ali also makes Keychains, which I hadn't had a chance to see before on her site whilst having a look around on it (Oh wait there's a whole section on the site on the front page showing the keychains- maybe I need stronger lenses in these glasses?)
I totally want the rainbow one to add to my collection of big bulky keys!


I wish Ali the best of luck in the future and I hope she has a lot of success!

Please go visit Ali on her blog and go check out her talent on her website-

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Em!

    You should give yourself some more credit as you are very inspirational to have such a great blog and business at just 19!

    I dread to think what I was getting up to when I was 19 but I know it wasn't running a successful business!!

    Thanks for the fab feature. See you on the forum...

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ali,
    I'm so happy your glad with the feature :)! And thankyou for your kind words! Talk to you soon! Em xx

    ReplyDelete